Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Some like it Hot


I love spicy food. I was a vegetarian for more than 10 years so I learned the importance of spices and seasoning when cooking with vegetables and tofu. That’s how I fell in love with the cuisine of Asia and India; foods that don’t require a hunk of meat to make a substantial meal. But East Broward lacks the heat I’ve become accustomed to so when I want spice (and savings) I head west … to Davie.

Lunch and dinner- chicken pad thai for $5.75

Located in a dingy strip mall next to a run down FoodTown on Stirling Road, AThai didn’t make the best impression when I first visited there a few years ago. But within minutes I was eating my words … and some of the best food in the area.

The small, dimly lit dining room is brightened up by the friendly, energetic proprietor who always offers a familiar, “Hello, Sweetie! Where you been?” She also knows my order – chicken pad Thai, tofu curry and spicy fried rice ---all ordered very hot. She always laughs when I remind her “very, very hot.”

Shrimp curry with spicy vegetable fried rice and white rice

For lunch, folks in West Broward should take advantage of AThai’s lunch special with all menu items discounted by at least $2 that also comes with white rice and won ton soup. On a recent rainy Friday, my friend and I celebrated the weekend by ordering some of our favorite dishes; the aforementioned pad Thai, which is usually priced at $8.95 was only $5.75, shrimp curry for $6.25 instead of $10.95 and my favorite - spicy vegetable fried rice which was in addition to the white rice that came with our order. If I’m driving this far to eat, then I’m going to eat everything! What can I say? AThai is a destination dine.

The Deal: Discounted Lunches
Mondays – Fridays 11:30 a.m. – 3 p.m.
A Thai
6419 Stirling Road
Davie
954-792-6220


No comments:

Post a Comment